Monday, January 7, 2013

Has anyone seen my zen in the pantry?

Keeping up on my bucket list this weekend I thought I would do a little preparation for #12, "Live a Healthier Lifestyle".  Without much weekend plans I felt Saturday was a good time to grocery shop and clean out the pantry and since I do like to multi task I decided to take my husband and dog along for the ride (#9 Spend more quality time with Friends & Family.) Unlike a lot of people I really don't mind the occasional cleaning and re-organizing of the pantry.  Growing up in a house with dual parents who believed in the theory "there is a place for everything, and everything has its place", I have a keen sense of satisfaction and achievement when everything is neatly packed away.  In fact packing items into tight spaces may possibly be the #42 on my list "Be the BEST at something".   My husband still recalls on a July afternoon in the early ninety's when I once drew an audience as I packed a week of camping and fishing gear and three children into a Jeep Wagoneer.

I have a gem of a hubby, he marvels and gloats at my spatial gifts.  He also works from home  which means he plans and executes meals most week nights and doesn't mind the occasional trip to the grocery store to be my assistant for the pick, pack and lug.   So after a short trip to the dog park we embarked on conquering the grocery bulk store on a mid Saturday winter afternoon. 

When shopping to restock the pantry I always prefer the off brand store, not only does it save my family money but more importantly with less brand choices it takes less TIME.  Don't get me wrong I love a summer stroll through the Gourmet Market trying new things and swooning at the 100+ choices in the mustard section.  As well as I am the first to revolt when there is any talk of personal uniformity because I like to consider myself one of a kind but when I'm shopping for staples the less choice the less time, so if having a choice for canned corn means whole kernel or creamed I'm all for it.

This particular thrifty mart really cuts to the chase where will power is concerned, because as soon as you step foot in the store you're smack in the midst of the cookie, candy, salty snack and booze section, (yes all in one isle).  So after dodging a set of 5 year old twins with one very bewildered father waiting, (in oncoming cart traffic, was he trying to off himself?),  for the Mom to come inside and tell them what to do, where to go and and to be the bearer of tough love and I'm sure three dozen "No's" on that isle alone, I was ready to shop. My plan was to walk swiftly to the next isle as to not make eye contact with the temptations. My husbands plan however was to marvel over the German Chocolate selection, so after commandeering my cart from one of the 5 year olds  and  setting self limits to one bag of sweets and two bottles of cheap wine we were soon zipping through the isles.

I am a born shopper but grocery shopping packs its irritations for me.  First, there is my co-shopper, the one that blocks the entire isle with their cart then stands in front of the shelves for an eternity gazing at the applesauce assortment like the choice between cinnamon or traditional holds the key to eternal happiness, (did I mention they were on their cell phone too), and then there is the repetitive packing.  Pack the cart with groceries, unpack them onto the conveyor belt, pack them back into the cart, pack them into bags, pack them to the car, pack them into the house and finally pack them into the pantry.   That's a lot of packs before the polk gets to the pantry! 

But atlas we were finally home and ready to start putting away.  My husband and I celebrated our 17th wedding Anniversary last April so we've been through a few grocery store drills.  His job is to help carry in the groceries, barricade the door from the cat's escape, make sure the trash can is ready for the recycled packaging that comes along with today's shopping and to stay out of the way. It's harsh I know and it begins back in the store where I insist that the groceries come out of the cart and onto the conveyor in a specific order and then bagged in a specific sequence so they can be easily identified as to fridge, freezer, pantry bag when they are unloaded.  Ah, to love me is to love my OCD! 

But finally we were to the part that makes it all worth it.   Now I know it should be sitting down to  a good wholesome meal around the table with my family (and that will come with time) but living in the moment the real WIN is in the organizing of the cupboards.  Favorite childhood memories of visiting the hardware store where every nut, bolt and washer had its place come flooding back as I strategically begin placing the cans proudly bearing their generic labels all front and center.  Rows organized by vegetable, fruit and legume begin to take form.  As I unload bag upon bag and watch my husbands bewilderment of "will it all fit" I strategically and skillfully complete my masterpiece.  With every last morsel packed away I can finally stand back and congratulate myself for a job well done.  But then as a I hear a voice from the living room asking whats for dinner my dreams are shattered.  And I think of  the stock boy who spends his night loading and facing the shelves to only be greeted by an early morning weather alert.  And my own empire is once again incomplete as I grab a can of Chicken Stock from the back of the pantry to begin dinner.

Oh my friends but this is the new me and I have my ears and eyes open in search of my own inner peace.  So, my lesson learned for this New Year ahead... life is a lot like the pantry.  It doesn't do you any good to keep it closed up and dark, instead make wise choices and keep it well stocked with variety and healthy choices.  Be creative with its ingredients.  Change and depletion and replenishment are all part of the process.  Remember that there will be some days you just have to stop, reorganize and take out the garbage.  And even though a small part of you may feel as if it is a waste to throw something out before it is fully consumed you will know in your heart when it is time to let it go for better things.  And always make time to share its contents with friends, family and even strangers for its mere ingredients are not its true treasure but the memories and nourishment it holds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment