Tuesday, January 3, 2017

What's your word?


With the Christmas decorations neatly tucked away and the New Year rang in, it's that time of year to sit down with a blank sheet and list out this year’s business and personal goals, prioritize and implement.  What is it about the first of the year that brings us to resolve to change for the better, when we have the power to begin any other day?  This echoes the favorite Chinese Proverb of one of my mentors, “The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago.  The second best time is now.”


As I was chatting with a friend over the weekend she boldly told me she quit resolutions, instead she said I pick a word that encompasses the change I want to make for the coming year.  This was an intriguing idea so I set out to do a little more research. With so many words out there how do you find your one?  The entire process reminded me of a scene from the movie Eat, Pray Love, where Liz struggles to find her “word”.  As she announces her word is writer her friends are quick to explain that writer is what she does not who she is, so she resolves to be without a word.  Fast Forward toward the end of the movie she reflects on a word she learned in italian when she first hears it she proclaims it is the perfect Italian word with all the romance and zest the language has to offer but as she looks at her life from where she once was to where she has traveled she decides that  Attraversiamo, the Italian word meaning to cross over is in fact her word.   


Wow,  what a beautiful, exotic, impactful word!  Could I borrow this word?  No, I needed my own word so I spent the rest of the day jotting down ones in my journal. Onward, transformation, ahead, foundation, purpose, inclusive, planned, assurance, prospicience.  They were all really good words but not the right word.  I even did a Google Search and came up with a tip to open a book and see what words appear to you but I decided to persevere through my own thought process. (Persevere...that’s a good word.)


Then finally as I drove home on a mostly abandoned highway (were we the only one working on January 2nd) through the dense fog my word appeared.  It seemed so clear that it was a perfect fit.   


So what is my word for 2017?  Kinetic!  Kinetic comes from the Greek word kinÄ“tikos, meaning "of motion, which in turn traces to the verb kinein, meaning "to move."  In physics kinetic is defined as the energy an object possesses due to its motion or the work needed to move any mass from resting to a state of velocity.

kinetic

play




And this is right where I want to be for 2017, moving forward. Looking at my goal list in one word it encompasses the two pages I brainstormed for both my business and personal life.  In hindsight,  the end of 2016 has left me feeling extremely sluggish and bored with slow movement of my life’s progress.  


The beginning of 2016 brought with it a wonderful opportunity to be a part of the class of 2016 Leadership Columbia.  A tremendous experience that not only gave me much time to learn about myself but also our community, while building a strong network of new friends.  This new experience was exciting and made me feel a bigger part of the community or in a sense grounded.  2016 also brought with it time to rest and reflect from the emotional roller coaster of 2015.  To bring closure to my Mother’s passing to pack away sort and sell her life’s belongings.  To relish in the  immense gratitude of Bentley being a healthy, happy boy.  To smile at Andy’s continued growth and humor and to watch Miss Hallie develop and welcome her way in the world and finally to bring back friends who were so very close yet we had let slip so far away.    Yes, “grounded” was the word of 2016, a time to be sensible and have a good understanding of what was important.


What am I looking forward to in 2017?  Life moving forward.  Watching my children and their children continue to flourish.  Visiting friends, family and new places.  Continuing progress in my career and setting a path for our company to grow.  Watching Jim’s new career path unfold.  Making new friends and stronger connections, learning and leading as the Chair of Women’s Network.  


Although, my personality may never be as bold, perky or pizzazzy as some I admire I am resolved to become more active, cheerful and spirited in 2017 and focus on what is ahead of me.  And remind myself that the things you do either give you energy or drain you, so I must choose wisely and keep moving forward.


Onward and upward to 2017 friends! -Shel

1 comment:

  1. I love this very much! May 2017 be everything beautiful and encompass all positive energy! Full speed ahead. XOXO

    ReplyDelete